Friday, February 19, 2010

NFS write performance

In prior posts, I've complained about the poor NFS write performance I've seen. A bit of research later, I've discovered that it's because OpenSolaris is strict about syncing NFS writes to disk (ref: NFS and ZFS, a fine combination)

There are ways to improve the time (ref: Disabling the ZIL, Don't) but the prevailing view is to put the ZIL on a separate device from the main ZFS data. I decided to give it a try using a 16 GB Sony USB flash disk.

I couldn't get it to work because the flash drive kept getting ZFS errors (ref: Bug 14676 – ZFS pool fails on Sony USB Flash drive - device disappears during use). A different flash drive worked but was too slow to help as a separate log device. Maybe I'll have to break down and buy a SATA flash drive. In the mean time, SMB is working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment